Saturday, December 25, 2010

Top Ten European Cultural Sites

10. Hanseatic Town of Visby, Sweden

I had to include a little Sweden! With me probably going to Lund in a couple years for Go Global, Visby will definitely be a destination one weekend. I love the peaceful atmosphere and the pretty architecture.

9. Bryggen, Norway

Bergen has always been a place I wanted to see. Bergen has the same qualities as Visby but is way more beautiful. It totally makes sense with these two being similar and all, with Norway and Sweden once being one country. All the different colours and such, really remind me of the old part of Stockholm. Bryggen actually happens to be a series of buildings on the waterfront, and the oldest part of town. Such a picturesque place, and I happen to know a couple, who went there on their honeymoon and that really says it all.

8. Old City of Berne, Switzerland

The old city of Berne, is the mediaeval center of the city and it happens to be untouched since its construction hundreds of years ago. From above, it really looks like a island surrounded by a canal separating it from the rest of Berne. It really is a treat for the eyes with all the gothic architecture, overflowing with beautiful buildings.

7. Historic Centre (Chorá) with the Monastery of Saint John, Greece

I saw a car commercial awhile back for Lexus I believe, and it was just a car driving around a beautiful city with white buildings looking over a big body of water. This monastery is on the island of Patmos in Greece and it fits the description perfectly. It’s probably stinking hot there, but I totally see myself sitting back watching the sun set over the Mediterranean.

6. Old City of Dubrovnik, Croatia

My sister, while in Sweden, got to travel around Europe, and as you probably guessed, she went to Croatia. A friend of mine from DTS went to Croatia recently as well, and he uploaded some pictures. It’s crazy tropical, and crazy beautiful as well. Dubrovnik was already on my list though, but it would be a travesty to not include it here.


5. Upper Middle Rhine Valley, Germany

I always thought of staying away from Europe for now, because one, it’s so expensive, and two, it’s relatively small, so why not tackle it all at once. Germany has looked very attractive lately. It seems like a very cool country with cool people and a lot to see. With Berlin and Munich, and my good friend Irene, it’s only a matter of time. With this new Valley I discovered, it only raises Germany’s stock, in my books anyways.

4. Hallstatt-Dachstein / Salzkammergut Cultural Landscape, Austria

I’ve seen this place heaps of times before, on post cards and whatnot. It’s like a story though, or a fairytale of sorts! I’ve really been impressed looking how much Austria and Switzerland has to offer. I have another DTS friend in Austria so I’ll have to make my way there soon.

3. Las Médulas, Spain

I don’t understand how this place isn’t a natural site, because it’s one hell of a place. Apparently it was a gold mine at one point. There are paths and such up there and everything. It’s beautiful though eh? Would easily be top five in the other list. The picture really says it all though. Just imagine having a house up there!

2. Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegodvina

I was looking at pictures of Mostar, and damn, Eastern Europe is so beautiful. This bridge in particular, and just the surrounding area might probably be, one of the most scenic places I have ever seen. Next to number one of course!

1. Mont-Saint-Michel and its Bay, France

I think it’s pretty amazing how I never seen this place before, because it’s seriously majestic! France has a lot to offer, being the biggest tourist attraction in the world. I could of easily made a top five with just French places, but with everybody flooding to Paris, I bet this place gets passed up quite a bit. It is located in Northern France, on the shores of Normandy. I wonder how much significance it had with the WWII, but I always wanted to see the D-Day beaches. The place makes one hell of a picture though.

Honourable Mention:

Struve Geodetic Arc, several countries

Pretty incredible chain system that works it’s way around several countries. It spans ten countries in total, around 2000km. It was used to measure the earth or something like that. Thought it was pretty cool, so I had to include it.

Canal du Midi, France

Already had a French entry so had to pass on these canals, but it’s pretty crazy to pass by so I put it here. This canal system in Southern France is pretty incredible in itself. Its 250km long, and it links the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. Would be interesting to see if you can take a boat all the way through…

Historic Site of Lyons, France

Another entry for France. If anyone has seen Amelie, they’ve seen this before. Besides the one place from one country rule, there is just so many tourists that go to France, and Paris more specifically. I will go again myself someday, that’s for sure.

Acropolis, Athens, Greece

Another tourist hot spot, but a must on everyones travel list. I’ll make my way there some day.

Skellig Michael, Ireland

This place looks absolutely breathtaking. This is what I think about when I think of Ireland. I quite frankly don’t know why this is a cultural site rather than a natural one. If it was a natural site, I would of for sure put in my top ten. I think Ireland is probably the most likely the next country I visit so this might not be too far in the future…

Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow, Russia

Russia is more and more appealing. The Red Square in Moscow is another tourist frenzy, but again, it’s something everyone should see.

University and Historic Precinct of Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Thought this place was pretty cool. Me, being in University myself… Not good enough for the top ten though!

Lavaux, Vineyard Terraces, Switzerland

Another entry from Switzerland. With me going there only a couple of years ago, might be awhile till I make it again… Switzerland really is a beautiful country.

Heart of Neolithic Orkney, United Kingdom

The home of my good friend Ruth. Mighty Orkney! Such amazing people, the Scots are… This is what I think of when I think of Scotland, the ‘How to Train Your Dragon’, Viking type setting. Beautiful!


3 comments: