Saturday, October 23, 2010

Danny Boyle's 127 Hours

What?! Danny Boyle off the San Jose Sharks directs big budget movies?!

Sorry... just my attempt at humor. No, it's been a long time coming for Danny Boyle since Slumdog Millionaire, but his much anticipated new movie is almost here! I actually only found out about this movie this week which is insane seeing that I'm a huge movie buff and that Danny Boyle is probably tied with Chris Nolan (yeah, yeah, Inception I know...) as being my favorite director right now. Seriously though, if you want a good flick to see, you cannot go wrong with English directors!

127 Hours based on the true story of Aron Ralston, a mountain climber who becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah and resorts to desperate measures in order to survive. I'll say no more, 'cause one, I haven't seen it and two, I don't want to spoil anything for you.

After watching the trailer, I must say that it's little strange seeing this movie linked to Danny Boyle at all. I just remember his older movies like Trainspotting and even 28 Days Later where he had a limited budget to now (post-Academy Award and all) having heaps of money, and not depending on his creativeness to make a visual masterpiece. It personally gratifying to see him get the recognition, but a part of me is like "this sucks..." 'cause I love the feeling when it's like I'm the only one who knows of him. It's the same feeling you get with music before certain bands hit it big... Not important really haha. With what I was getting at earlier, this movie is like eye candy for film geeks like me! The trailer is just breathtaking from start to finish and it's only a trailer for crying out loud. Not only is it visually beautiful but the story just looks drop dead beautiful as well. Of course, Band of Horse's "The Funeral" had to be used. It works brilliantly though so props to whoever made the trailer. Finally, the movie stars James Franco who I adore and think is awesome so thumbs up to the casting director! Am I going to hand the Oscar over already? No, I haven't seen it obviously but it's got to be a favorite for sure. Look forward to reviewing this in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment