Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Social Network

It’s Monday night (technically Tuesday...), also known as Harry Potter night here at UBCO. In anticipation for the seventh and final instalment of the epic JK Rowling series, Thom and I are watching one through six. We’re trying to catch up on our favourite boy wizard as much as we can before the big release. It’s funny though, ‘cause we spend the entire duration of each movie just ripping it apart, but all in good fun obviously. We’re on Prisoner of Azkaban if you were wondering!

Finally getting around to writing about another film I got to see over the last little bit, and that is The Social Network.

If you’re a fan of David Fincher (huge fan myself!) or just looking for a solid, well rounded film, look no further because The Social Network’s got it all. There’s an added draw of course, as much as I hate to admit it, Facebook just is a part of everyday life; millions of people can relate (500 million in fact) making it so relevant. I’ll first write on my thoughts on the movie and later write on my view of Facebook as a whole.

Like I just stated, the movie in pretty fantastic. One thing you’ll recognize is the familiar dark tone and cinematography that you’ve grown to love with all Fincher’s movies (Se7en, Fight Club, Benjamin Button etc.). The story revolves around Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) and his quest to be someone in Harvard University. Through law suits, broken relationships, and hundreds of millions of losses, Zuckerberg creates one of the biggest worldwide phenomena’s of all time. To be blunt and upfront, Zuckerberg is a grade A jackass, yes, absolutely brilliant, but a dick none the less. It’s hard to know how much of the story was fabricated, but the key points like the law suits and statistics of it all are pretty solid. Seeing interviews with the real Zuckerberg, you can clearly see that he’s is an odd character. It’s hard not to feel for Eduardo (Andrew Garfield) and the twins (Armie Hammer) who royally get screwed by this kid Zuckerberg. And yes, the twins are played by one actor and if I didn't just tell you this, I guarantee that you wouldn’t of noticed that during the movie! Technology these days eh, absolutely crazy! On that note, the acting is quite well done, especially on Eisenbergs part. I was really impressed with a minor character, Zuckerbergs girlfriend who is played by Rooney Mara. With what few lines she had, she really caught my eye. It turns out that she will actually be Lisbeth Salander in the remake of the Swedish hit, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which is also directed by Fincher! An awesome book that I strongly recommend! All in all, The Social Network is great movie, well worth the money and Justin Timberlake actually does a decent job pissing you off, but in a good way! Soundtrack is also pretty mint...

Ah, it’s been a long time coming for me and my good friend Facebook. The urge to get rid of it arose awhile back, but I just never got to doing it. I hate how essential it is in my daily routine, I hate how hard it is to give up, I hate how big it is, and I hate the fact that I’m writing all this about it. There are definitely pros to Facebook, and truthfully I think they outweigh the cons, which might be why I still have my account today actually. Yeah, that or that I’m a sissy… The most important thing is keeping connected to friends overseas and even friends back home for that matter. It’s a good way to remain up to date with local events here on campus and around Kelowna! It’s a great way to express yourself, whether it’s music or photography; sharing is caring, right? Anyways, there’s no question that limitation is needed, but in good time my friends. With that, I’m out…

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment