Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Overwhelmed

As of right now, 10:22AM, I am free! I just finished my Chemistry midterm and I feel great. It's weird though because as overwhelmed I was with stress, the stress was trumped by joy. Does that even make sense? Can I say that? Let me try and explain... With all the burden of school and other stuff, life's good and I'm having a lot of fun right now.

My family is not financially set, but that's alright; that's what student loans are for. You know the situation is pretty messed up when the government loan is not sufficient. Long story short, my folks had to help me, but they're hurting as it is. It just makes me so sad because they're working so hard, struggling to make ends meet, but at the same time, providing for us kids with the little they have. Yeah, I know most parents would do the same thing, but it still gets to me. YWAM changed my life and my parents are a huge part of the reason why I was able to do it in the first place; the thing is though, I'm most likely going to look back while I'm slaving away teaching nine to five and say the exact thing about my university education. I love my folks and I can't wait to start providing for them, starting maybe next year! That reminds me! I need to contact the guy I might be treeplanting for! I hope I can still do it... Anyways, that's only half the stress toll... Midterms! My favourite! At least they're in the past. They weren't that bad actually, especially Math, but with my first Chemistry one a month ago being an absolute joke, you can see where the anxiety came from. With these useless first year profs, Chem is total rhubarb for me. Just have to keep telling myself "get through first year Tim!" and I'll be alright. The one I just wrote seemed to be a make up one for the last one, but yeah, I still hate my prof. That's all the time I'm going to waste on writing about my studies.

Like I was trying to say earlier, my heart is in a really good place right now. There's mishaps here and there, but I just feel different, in a nice way though. I've been getting to know my floor really well, and they're just a great bunch of people! It's amazing how turned off I was with virtually everyone here, and how I now find myself drawn to a lot of people. If anything can be learned here, don't be quick to judge. No, I might not be able to connect intimately, shit, I might not have anything in common for the most part, but they're a hell lot of fun. It all started with a haircut by a floor mate of mine, and the rest is history. 'The Game', heaps of horror movies, a hockey pool that could possibly win me sixty bucks, and FIG soon followed. The Game is very fun and addictive; it's a game involving about 10-20 of us playing volleyball in a circle outside. If you make a mistake, you get a point and three points earns you a boot. Way too many hours are wasted I'm afraid... Not the biggest fan of horror movies, 'cause they're usually bad, but we just watched the Orphanage and I got to say that it's pretty damn good. Some of the boys and I started a hockey pool which I'm winning right now! Big Jaroslav Halak is my secret weapon. And finally FIG, the new pointless, but addicting game we made up. It's a mix of volleyball and table-tennis and it can only be played the in the heart of night when Chris and Rochelle, our RA's, are asleep. On the day of my Math midterm, I wasted four hours (12:00-4:00AM) of my life to FIG and I'd do it again. I would tell you what FIG stood for, but I would have to kill you then. I see some serious friendships brewing with my resident buddies, maybe not the ones you would expect after doing something like Youth With A Mission, but I cannot complain one bit. It's going to be weird seeing everyone off at the end of the year, just knowing that we won't be living together again; kind of like DTS all over again. Difference now is that I can say I'm ready for that now though.

Took me a day to finish this entry... Started in the O and finished here in Camrose, Alberta. I'm here visiting my sister before she ventures off to South Africa for three months. More to come in the future! I will say this though, Canmore, Alberta (Canmore, not Camrose!) is one the most beautiful towns I've been too and if I ever started a DTS, that's where it would be! Oh and you know there will be pictures to come!

1 comment:

  1. Tim. I know it's overwhelming when money is involved, but the family has gone through some pretty dark moments and always made it through and come out stronger for it. I wouldn't trade this family for all the money in the world, and maybe we should consider it a blessing that we're learning to depend so much on each other. It's something not everyone is able to experience.

    I'm thinking about coming back to Camrose to spend more time here next year...get to know the people better. You should come with me.

    Tim, I'm so proud to call you my brother. Thank you for coming to visit me, it meant the world (even if I was second to the canola fields).
    I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete